Choice of camera to make great pictures?

Started by Bergwind, August 08, 2019, 12:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bergwind

Had a short discussion with captainpet about the choice of cameras to make great pictures of our lighthouses. Maybe we can discuss on a broader basis.
I prefer small cameras, low weight, to stuck it in my pants pocket. Now I use a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX 90V. I like this small camera, but the disadvantage is, these compact cameras can not achieve a greater zoom. The Sony has a 30 zoom. More would be better... ;)

captainpet

I am actually on a lighthouse trip through Albania, Montenegro, Southern Croatia and the Adriatic Coast of Italy. It is my first experience with my new camera, NIKON COOLPIX P900 (price 430 € from an online shop in Italy).
The essential thing in lighthouse photography is the zoom.

I selected this camera because it has a super zoom (84 x optical), and I am very satisfied with it.
This camera has a successor already, the NIKON P1000 with 120 x optical zoom, but from various forums I learnt that people are not too satisfied with it. The zoom is too large to make pictures by hand, you always need a tripod, which is awkward to carry with.

A lighthouse friend of mine has just commenced to use a drone with amazing results. I am thinknig about to purchase one in the nearer or farther future.

mitko

I use for several years Canon Powershot SX30 IS with 35x zoom as at that times it was more-less maximum zoom for reasonable price. I know now it was replaced by SX40 HS series, also 35x and SX70 HS available with 65x zoom. Thank for sharing data, Peter, i will look to Nikon as well, as i'm thinking to replace my camera. And i fully agree, superzoom is great option as many lights are not so easy to reach so better to make a pictures from the distance.

As for the drones - there was a #NSLighthouseProject - guys made really amazing pictures on Nova Scotia coast https://www.facebook.com/nokaoidroneguys/  this is actually great idea to use them for. Looking forward that there would be more and more such pictures!
Best regards,
Dmitry

Copyright @ 2022 All rights reserved
Terms and Conditions
Using of photographs from this site allowed only with permission of author unless otherwise stated in the photo description.
Please note: information on this site is unofficial and could not be used in navigation.
If you find any problem in the site operation or mistakes in represented information - please report here