Identify lighthouse from 1919 silent film

Started by jharvat, June 28, 2021, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jharvat

Hi everyone -

I am in the process of restoring a silent film from 1919 that features a lighthouse.  Details of the film's production are somewhat sketchy - only that it was shot on location somewhere on the US East Coast (perhaps New England).  I assume that the lighthouse was not just a set piece and that it was an actual facility.  I am hoping to discover the identity of the lighthouse shown in the film and whether or not it still exists. 

I have attached a screen capture from the film to this post.  Thanks in advance for any assistance!  :)

mitko

A bit unusual shape for US lighthouses. What film was this?
Best regards,
Dmitry

jharvat

nelights

It's definitely not a New England lighthouse. The shape of the lantern dome is unlike anything I can remember seeing on a New England lighthouse. It's so unusual that it makes me wonder if it might have been a mockup created for the film. Also, the keeper's house looks very rustic, not like something you'd expect to see around 1919.

nelights

Another odd thing is that there's no ventilator ball on the top of the lantern, which would be very unusual for an American lighthouse - and how would the smoke have escaped from the lantern room without some kind of ventilation? I looked closer at the keeper's house and it looks sort of beat up -- again, not something you would have seen at an American lighthouse around 1919.

mitko

I had similar thoughts - maybe this is mockup...
Best regards,
Dmitry

jharvat

Thanks to everyone for their responses.  I think you are correct that this was likely a prop building constructed for the film.  Other scenes in the film show a yacht that is obviously a model boat in a pool, so there is certainly precedent for a little Hollywood sleight-of-hand.

Copyright @ 2022 All rights reserved
Terms and Conditions
Using of photographs from this site allowed only with permission of author unless otherwise stated in the photo description.
Please note: information on this site is unofficial and could not be used in navigation.
If you find any problem in the site operation or mistakes in represented information - please report here