1940s lighthouse ID

Started by Hammerlind, January 18, 2023, 12:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerlind

Hi. Anyone know where this light house is located? Pete

mitko

I bet this is something in Asia, Korea or Japan maybe. Any kind of information about picture could help!
Best regards,
Dmitry

Hammerlind

Hi
The picture was in my dad's affairs; he was in the Navy and served in the pacific 1945, that's all I have. Your thoughts on those areas maybe correct.
Thanks,
Pete

mitko

Hi Pete! I did some research on this topic. There are number of "dunce cap" lighthouses in Japan (i.e.
Hiroshima, Fujisawa, Hakata Kō - most of them were build after 1950s)
I would say likely this picture is Yokohama South Outer Breakwater (built 1939).
Here are some other pictures of it:
LH Japan
yamatae.sakura.ne.jp

It has slightly different configuration of windows (but this could be due to tower reconstruction) but general shape of the tower, breakwater and square building nearby - everything is very similar. As far as I've found in internet -  American troops were landed in Yokohama after surrender of Japan so this fits to story as well.
Best regards,
Dmitry

Copyright @ 2022 All rights reserved
Terms and Conditions
Using of photographs from this site allowed only with permission of author unless otherwise stated in the photo description.
Please note: information on this site is unofficial and could not be used in navigation.
If you find any problem in the site operation or mistakes in represented information - please report here