Recent posts

News / European Route of Lighthouses
Last post by Bergwind - September 27, 2023, 05:51:03 AM
The "European Route of Lighthouses" was founded in Brussels on September 7, 2023.
The "European Route of Lighthouses", ERoL for short, aims to highlight the cultural significance and
possible uses of European lighthouses based on their past or present function
as a sea mark and navigation aid.
Lighthouse identification / Re: Norway?
Last post by mitko - July 25, 2023, 06:56:40 PM
Lighthouse identification / Norway?
Last post by spunandcontinued - July 25, 2023, 04:53:02 PM
After a computer "situation", I thought I had everything cleaned up, but this one image surfaced.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.
Lighthouse identification / Re: Bayonne / Training wall N ...
Last post by mitko - June 06, 2023, 07:27:15 AM
My pictures are some old. So i will update the description
Lighthouse identification / Bayonne / Training wall N Bank...
Last post by Bergwind - June 06, 2023, 05:37:44 AM
Shortenly Mitko has uploaded a picture of this light.I have found a new situation! I believe also Peter has not found this light in 2022 ! Most web sites still mention this light, but it exist never more! :(
Lighthouse identification / Re: Lighthouse in painting by ...
Last post by mitko - May 11, 2023, 08:52:06 AM
Great to hear! Good luck in further research!
Last post by lnpeters - May 10, 2023, 01:59:31 PM
The site is identified! It's definitely Lighthouse Point in New Haven, Connecticut, and confirmed with the New Haven Museum/Historical Society. The lighthouse was erected in 1804 and became inactive in 1877 but left standing and is today a protected national historic landmark. There is an old carousel on the beach but the bath houses are no longer there. I'm now hoping that there will be a way to date the painting. It's undated but it looks like other works by Blenner from the early 1890s. I should be receiving some more information from the museum. Thanks again! Lisa
Last post by mitko - May 09, 2023, 06:06:29 PM
Lisa, let me know results. We can continue search if there will be negative answer.
Last post by lnpeters - May 08, 2023, 01:25:07 PM
Dmitry,
Thank you so much for this help and suggestions! I'm going to check into these. New Haven would make sense because Blenner studied at Yale U Art School (he graduated in 1885) and later taught there.
This image is suggestive of the painting's topography
http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/five-mile-point-light-history.html
this one shows bath houses on the beach:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304925769538?hash=item46fefdff42:g:3SkAAOSw6wxkVYhs&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4IO6RmUCR%2BRxos0%2FqVoUb0twh2EMC%2BCIqhuvdIOLHvCjpMO994q9HG%2FNvNYFOO0Y5RygElVoS6a8S%2FHUMZA6G%2BRhb1Gt5P3doLWohOauZlmy%2Fok%2FmXWv40eCDFZkDGQVsi7qIYQq8i%2BlA16yYehbwWHYXAOUfpsw32ih%2ByEzxa5ESdLhqj8jdtEAbNwFKe2HMixclkRSUDzTTp1VdnW%2BDfumY2pG8p5rG%2FBYQ5vDzBRfwCTuVjdpNh6oyUGgAzni476HIWe0%2Fj4RwCnlwizsHmulXGMjh7%2Fu5oLv978AHc3B%7Ctkp%3ABFBMwKCegf9h

but other images don't match up all that well. I'll send an inquiry to the New Haven Historical Society. The lighthouse was built in 1804 and became inactive in 1877, but still exists in Lighthouse Point Park

New London looks too rocky and may have been too remote for that kind of tourist activity.
Will keep the site posted. Lisa 

Last post by mitko - May 07, 2023, 09:44:09 AM
It's always tricky to identify lighthouse on the old painting due to it could be demolished, rebuild or painter could be not very accurate in the details of construction. Anyway let's assume that it still exist and looks relatively same.
Before we move to Europe i would like to check have you considered following options in US:

Connecticut / Five Mile Point lighthouse
https://www.lightphotos.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=light&cat=0&pid=21066

Connecticut / New London Harbor lighthouse
https://www.lightphotos.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=light&cat=0&pid=4248

New Jersey / Sandy Hook lighthouse
https://www.lightphotos.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=light&cat=0&pid=22887

All of them are:
  • Tall but relatively thick comparing to classic towers
  • Within described age
  • Have relatively small lantern on top comparing to tower width
  • Round or octagonal conic form
  • Except Sandy Hill have a nice beach nearby where the painter could work

So what do you think?

PS I also find few places called Lido Beach - one in NY, one in FL but there is no (and seems never been) lighthouses nearby.
Copyright @ 2022 All rights reserved
Terms and Conditions
Using of photographs from this site allowed only with permission of author unless otherwise stated in the photo description.
Please note: information on this site is unofficial and could not be used in navigation.
If you find any problem in the site operation or mistakes in represented information - please report here