Recent posts

Site issues / Instagram
Last post by Bergwind - April 07, 2023, 02:20:29 PM
The main page has a symbol from Instagram ! It does not work !?
Lighthouse identification / Chumpon, Southern Thailand
Last post by Bergwind - February 18, 2023, 12:54:29 AM
Five years ago I have been first time in Chumpon, Southern Thailand with a large harbour !
I have made severel pics and uploaded to World of Lighthouses.Alex Trabas wrote me at this time, I have missed the Admiralty F2924.2 and F2924.3.
So I returned recently again to Chumpon to make pics from the missed lights.
Now Alex Trabas revised all geographical positions. Now I had to correct all my pictures as well.I hope everything is correct now.
Lighthouse identification / Re: 1940s lighthouse ID
Last post by mitko - January 23, 2023, 09:09:41 AM
Hi Pete! I did some research on this topic. There are number of "dunce cap" lighthouses in Japan (i.e.
Hiroshima, Fujisawa, Hakata Kō - most of them were build after 1950s)
I would say likely this picture is Yokohama South Outer Breakwater (built 1939).
Here are some other pictures of it:
LH Japan
yamatae.sakura.ne.jp

It has slightly different configuration of windows (but this could be due to tower reconstruction) but general shape of the tower, breakwater and square building nearby - everything is very similar. As far as I've found in internet -  American troops were landed in Yokohama after surrender of Japan so this fits to story as well.
Last post by Hammerlind - January 18, 2023, 11:29:24 PM
Hi
The picture was in my dad's affairs; he was in the Navy and served in the pacific 1945, that's all I have. Your thoughts on those areas maybe correct.
Thanks,
Pete
General Discussion / Re: Heigth of the tower, Focal...
Last post by mitko - January 18, 2023, 10:04:48 AM
Agreed! It seems this could be different datums...
Last post by mitko - January 18, 2023, 10:03:36 AM
I bet this is something in Asia, Korea or Japan maybe. Any kind of information about picture could help!
Lighthouse identification / 1940s lighthouse ID
Last post by Hammerlind - January 18, 2023, 12:45:53 AM
Hi. Anyone know where this light house is located? Pete
General Discussion / Heigth of the tower, Focal pla...
Last post by Bergwind - September 20, 2022, 06:03:08 AM
Lighthouse Directory from Russ Rowlett is very useful for all of us lighthouse lovers. But often I see great differences for height of the tower and focal plane elevation from Open Sea Map.
For instance: Roscoff ! A1812.1 Russ: 24 and 24, Open Sea : 15 and 24 (seems realistic )
Or the beacons in sea: A1818, Russ :20 and 14, Open Sea : 8 and 14 (seems realistic ) and so on...
Lighthouse identification / Re: Lighthouse in Plouhinec, F...
Last post by Bergwind - September 18, 2022, 06:17:56 AM
Good question! Google Maps shows a marine conservation association in front of the lighthouse.  I couldn't find an email to contact ! :(
Copyright @ 2022 All rights reserved
Terms and Conditions
Using of photographs from this site allowed only with permission of author unless otherwise stated in the photo description.
Please note: information on this site is unofficial and could not be used in navigation.
If you find any problem in the site operation or mistakes in represented information - please report here