Recent posts

Lighthouse identification / Re: Lighthouse in painting by ...
Last post by lnpeters - April 29, 2023, 08:25:27 AM
Thanks, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Lighthouse identification / Re: Lighthouse in painting by ...
Last post by mitko - April 28, 2023, 05:18:45 PM
Interesting topic! Need to do some research then revert.
Lighthouse identification / Re: Lake Michigan, Wisconsin
Last post by mitko - April 28, 2023, 05:18:18 PM
43.715622, -87.699514 should work
Lighthouse identification / Lighthouse in painting by Carl...
Last post by lnpeters - April 27, 2023, 01:03:16 PM
I'm researching this beach-scene painting for the Greenville County Museum (South Carolina). The painting is in the museum's collection. It is by the American artist Carle Blenner (1862-1952) and depicts a lighthouse, which is visible in the upper right . The painting is not dated but based on its style, it was probably rendered in the early 1890s. It was sold at auction in 2015 with the title of The Lido. However, no aspects of it match those of The Lido in Venice. Other sites I've  looked into are Newport (where the artist spent time in the summer), Martha's Vineyard, Long Island, and Cape May, New Jersey. Experts have confirmed that it does not depict any of these locales. The artist lived in New Haven, Connecticut, and New York City. Blenner_beach_scene_Greenville_lo-res.jpg The lighthouse appears to me to be American but the artist did spend much time in Europe. There are architectural and landscape elements in the scene suggesting that the site is an actual and specific one. Any help anyone can provide about the lighthouse would be extremely appreciated in helping to determine the locale depicted in the painting.
Last post by Bergwind - April 19, 2023, 06:30:38 AM
I have found the light, but I cannot translate the position 43-42-55.890N 087-41-58.380W in a GPS position for Google Maps ! :(
Last post by mitko - April 18, 2023, 06:33:13 AM
Full USCG List is here https://msi.nga.mil/Publications/USCGLL
You need vol 7 for Great Lakes, see page 186 - seems this is GENERATING STATION SOUTH INTAKE CRIB LIGHT 6
Lighthouse identification / Lake Michigan, Wisconsin
Last post by Bergwind - April 18, 2023, 05:39:44 AM
Where is this light No. 6 ? I have no USCG list for Great Lakes. Must be close to Algoma, Wisconsin!
Site issues / Re: Instagram
Last post by mitko - April 07, 2023, 03:02:13 PM
This is link to instagram account but you must be registered to view it.
Some pictures from site automatically posted to Instagram and Twitter.
Site issues / Instagram
Last post by Bergwind - April 07, 2023, 02:20:29 PM
The main page has a symbol from Instagram ! It does not work !?
Copyright @ 2022 All rights reserved
Terms and Conditions
Using of photographs from this site allowed only with permission of author unless otherwise stated in the photo description.
Please note: information on this site is unofficial and could not be used in navigation.
If you find any problem in the site operation or mistakes in represented information - please report here